I always thought Usagi's PJ's were cute and they are totally my favorite style of PJ's, so I figured why not. I had been planning on making them for years but never got around to it till 2009.
I love the fact that the PJ's are super comfy and actually functional. So comfy in fact they've become the actual PJ's I bring to conventions for sleepy time.
- Completed: May 2009
- Debut: Otakon 2009
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time Spent: 8 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $55 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Flannel, Cotton, Felt, Embroidery Floss
- ♥~PJ's~♥ Made from a light pink flannel trimmed in a hot pink cotton, I made all the piping and covered the buttons so that they would all match since I couldn't find packaged hot pink piping. The bunny on the pocket is an embroidered on appliqué I drew based on Naoko's illustrations in the manga. The bunny appliqué was tricky and my sewing machine kept messing up and it took a bunch of times before I was frustrated with the machine satin-stitching around the edges and I ended-up hand-embroidering it.
The PJ's were completed in less than a day, tho the bunny accenting took more time; making work on it bleed over into another day.
- ♥~Hair Ribbons~♥ I have 6 Swiss double-face satin pink ribbons, 3 of which get tied in each pigtail; all ends are fray-checked. I found as close a color match as I could to the reference pictures. (I think I literally bought ribbons for the hair at least 2-3 times before being happy totally with the ribbons.)
- ♥~Slippers~♥ The slippers were found in Vermont and I added the pompoms to them.
- ♥~Slipper-Socks~♥ I have cute matching pink slipper-socks that have a bunny embroidered on each ankle. I know she doesn't actually have pink slipper socks with a bunny on each ankle in the series, but she totally would have gotten them if she had seen them in the store like I did...
The pre-tied bows are mounted on bobby-pins so they can be attached to my hair.
- ♥~Bunny~♥ One of the first things I got for Usagi's PJ's was a cute bunny plush from Target back in the spring of 2009. It was so adorable that I had to get it! And when I got home I discovered that it's pink accenting matched the material I had gotten for the PJ's beautifully. That inspired me to actually work on making the actual PJ's!
- ♥~Hair~♥ I style my real hair to achieve the look of Sailor Moon's hair
- Styling Time: 10-30 minutes (approx.) each time