Created for Halloween 2009
My boyfriend is super sweet and he wanted me to have an awesome Halloween costume and also to distract me from my recent layoff so he offered to help me design a character that I would be able to make from materials we already had around the house.
This character was designed by Sephygoth specifically for me to make and wear for Halloween 2009. He did the line drawing and we collaborated on the design and colors. I designed the accessories and he suggested something that spurred the wand design.
I made everything for this costume in about 3 weeks in my off time. ^^;
- Completed: October 2009
- Debut: Halloween 2009
- Difficulty: Easy
- Time Spent: 15 hours (approx.)
- Estimated Cost: $18 (approx.)
- Materials Used: Stretch Velvet, Chiffon, Sparkle Velvet
- ♥~Dress~♥ I used stretch black velvet and several of my pre-created patterns for the dress. The trickiest part was the chiffon insert and making sure that everything lined-up.
- ♥~Overcoat/Shawl~♥ It's a two part-er. The light purple shawl I measured and drew free-hand, the dark purple utilized more straight-edges. They are both held in place by my pumpkin brooches.
- ♥~Hat~♥ I drafted a pattern for a tiny witch hat and made it out of sparkle velvet. I then added a bow with a pumpkin center.
- ♥~Pumpkin Brooches~♥ I sculpted the pumpkin brooches out of a polymer clay and then painted them with acrylic paints to match the rest of my pumpkin accessories. Xenafox helped me last minute finish the broaches and get them on the pins for Halloween but by the time Sephygoth and I did the photoshoot for the costume two weeks later I had retouched and finished the broaches.
- ♥~Earrings~♥ The earrings are made from pumpkin charms I bought. I found these really cute pumpkin earrings/accessories in Claire's that matched perfectly what I had already made/painted. I practically bought them out especially once everything was on clearance for a $1 each and took them apart for all the jewelry components/charms and then put together completely different was for the jewelry pieces for the costume. (These were the only items purchased specifically for the costume other than the base for the pumpkin wand and the ball that was too perfect to pass up especially for 50 cents!)
- ♥~Bracelet~♥ I made a charm bracelet with the disassembled pumpkin charms I bought at Claire's and added in some bells I had gotten from another disassembled bracelet.
- ♥~Tights~♥ Finding orange tights during October should not have been nearly as hard as it was. I eventually lucked into finding them locally.
- ♥~Boots~♥ These are the pair of boots that Sephygoth bought me previously and I used them because the worked awesomely well.
- ♥~Pumpkin Wand~♥ I purchased a cheep pumpkin decoration from an Arts & crafts store and painted it to match the rest of my accessories and I even added a top-coat of iridescent glitter and a cute black bow.
- ♥~Ball~♥ I found a matching orange glittery ball at Target for $0.50.
- ♥~Wig~♥ I style my real hair to achieve the look.
- Styling Time: 5-15 minutes (approx.) each time